Skip to main content

The Cost of Living by Emily Maloney

Have you ever read a book that made you feel like someone really understood what you’ve been through?  Emily Maloney did just that in her book/essay collection called The Cost of Living.  It was like she was saying: I see you; I understand; It’s not your fault, and You will survive and thrive.  The essays read like a book that just isn’t in chronological order.  Emily survived a suicide attempt at the age of 19, but the medical costs followed her for 10 years. The costs were more than just money but also socially, career-wise, familial relations, and personal worth. I’ve dealt with 3 family members' suicide, luckily 2 survived.  The issue of the medications making depression worse is so true.  I also had to deal with people not being allowed to spend the night at your house or come over.  The looks from neighbors as they turned and hurried into their homes.  Then there are the calls from collection agencies.  On the other hand, I also had similar medical experiences as Emily because I have a hereditary disease which I was diagnosed with at 40.  I can’t imagine adding up all the costs of medications like she did.  I also worked in health care as a billing clerk and coder.  Then I was a medical malpractice attorney.  We’ve had so many similar experiences.  She writes without whining, complaining, or feeling sorry for herself.   I think that’s why I love her writing.   She has such a clean and clear conscience.  Cost of Living by Emily Maloney taught me to forge ahead one pill at a time, one doctor visit at a time, one job at a time, one payment at a time, one person at a time.  She did it.  I can do it.  And you can do it too.  


#costofliving #emilymaloney #henryholtbooks @henryholtbooks #essays #healthcare #bookstagram #currentlyreading #readingrecommendations

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indigenous Authors in November

If you are looking for an indigenous author to support in November, then This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger has a great historical fiction read for you.   Krueger is a member of the Anishinaabe ( Ojibwe ) tribe.   This dialogue between a bit so likable character Jack and the teen narrator Odie will give you a good idea of the story.   “Ask me, God’s right here. In the dirt, the rain, the sky, the trees, the apples, the stars in the cottonwoods. In you and me, too. It’s all connected and it’s all God. Sure this is hard work, but it’s good work because it’s a part of what connects us to this land, Buck. This beautiful, tender land.” Jack in Chapter 20.  Odie then replies with his theory about how “God is a tornado.” which refers back to when a tornado killed a loving teacher, Mrs. Frost.  The book was originally published in 2019 and is great as an audiobook coming in at 14 hours and 19 minutes on regular speed versus 464 pages of hard copy.   ...

This Golden State by Marit Weisenberg

What was your worse fear as a teen?  Mine was falling in front of crowds at school.  I was/am so clumsy.  In Marit Weisenberg’s This Golden State, 17-year-old Poppy has a lot of fears.  The main one is her parents’ true identities being discovered.  She has to constantly move schools when one of her parents gets worried they’ve been discovered.  Poppy is an amazing, complex teen trying to discover who she is in so many ways.  She fears mostly how she will care for her little sister when/if her parents are caught.  Poppy’s mother is one of those you hate but have to know what the heck she did to be so dangerous.  I hated her because she made her daughter live a half-life: one without friends, mentors, extended family, school activities, and even hope for her future.  Poppy sees Hope when they move to the Golden State, California.  It’s a place she knows her Mom has a connection to in some way.  Things start to show a con...

Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doer

What’s the longest you’ve taken to finish a book?  Anthony Doer’s Cloud Cuckoo Land took me more than 4 months to finish.  I wanted to really understand.  It is about the quest for fantasylands or heaven by all of us.  This book could be seen as a collection of short stories with each character narrating (Anna, Omeir, Zeno, Seymour, and Konstance) a different time (15th C, the 1950s, Korean War, 2020, and the future) and place (Constantinople, Idaho, and Outer Space) in a connected story.  What links all the people, places, and time periods is Antonius Diogenes writes a story (Cloud Cuckoo Land) around the first century C.E. narrated by Aethon. He longs to be turned into a bird so that he can fly to a utopian paradise.  The different people, time periods, and places were all a bit overwhelming to me.  Then one of the people in Bookclub said to watch for the owl and it would all start connecting.  She was right!  Another said to watch f...